Monday, May 31, 2010

UN and UNICEF





I finally realize why I hate history -- so much of it revolves around wars and killings. Those of you who know me well, know that I don't believe in wars for any reasons. Wasn't that the original purpose of the United Nations? I love the gun sculpture for what it represent but it isn't enough. Now we have other horrible weapons: bombs, land mines, missile. There's an exhibit in the UN about land mines which cost very little to make but cause so much pain and suffering -- even after a war is over.

I was very upset when the U.S. decided to defy the UN and go to war with Iraq based on unsubstantiated "weapons of mass destruction" claims. If the U.S. can choose when to follow the UN rules, then so can all the other countries in the world. The whole system means nothing then.

During college and law school, I used to work in the basement of the UN volunteering with UNICEF. I even went a few weekends when I was a lawyer. It felt good to be there. I felt like I was contributing to making the world a better place. Did I really make a difference? Probably very little in the scheme of things. There were Christmas seasons spent sitting in bank lobbies selling UNICEF cards and gifts in order to raise money for children in need around the world. I'd like to think that some village got a water pump and some children were saved from polio because of my efforts.

UNICEF is one of the most important charities to me. Don't buy flowers for me when I die, just donate the money to UNICEF. The children of the world are innocently suffering and could use all the help they can get. Better yet, donate before I die. http://www.unicef.org/

2 comments:

Marlene said...

I agree with you 100%. You made me realize what it is that I want my children to truly learn. I want them to learn FROM history and to make changes, NOT read about hhistory and continue to repeat it. The only philanthropy we've really worked on was for animals, and that was because animals are the truly innocent in our world. But thanks to you, I think it is time to help them to find ways to make a difference for humanity. I do not like the idea of my children's value to be judged by what they can contribute to a specific country. I want them to be citizens of the world and honor life, peace and compassion above all. Make this Earth a better place. Not just their little corner. I have a few things to look into now, Thank You, for being so honest and helping me to remember what it is I want to leave behind.

Melissa (Melgurl) said...

I like the sculpture to.Great blog.