Monday, May 3, 2010

Preparing for field trip

I went on a two mile walk around Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge to prepare for a walk I'm leading. I couldn't find my camera (until after I got home), so I was able to enjoy the walk listening to the sounds and viewing the birds with my binoculars. Luckily my sister and Joe were there to help me identify the birds.


Today, I woke up way too early but got some stuff prepared for the field trip. I made a dozen different photo tic-tac-toe games using photos of birds and plants I spotted yesterday at the refuge. It took way longer than I had planned. Sure hope the kids enjoy using them as a scavenger hunt.

I am tired of seeing Canada Goose everywhere but seeing a pair of geese with their goslings, fuzzy yellow and brown, waddling on the path, was priceless! We also saw a pair of Mute Swans with their cygnets. I really hope they are still around when the kids go on the walk.

These were my favorite birds from yesterday (not counting the babies).

4 comments:

Marlene said...

Watching bird/fowl families are always a sweet experience. The way they go on with their bird business is adorable. Enjoy the trip.

Angel said...

This looks like it will be a fun field trip!

Melissa (Melgurl) said...

I love birds.That yellow bird in the picture is so cute.

P.S I made a new post.

Melissa

Unknown said...

The yellow warbler is loud for a bird that's only two inches long. We had to be quiet and look carefully to find them. I hope we see them on our trip.