Friday, May 14, 2010

Sunshine & Vitamin D

I always knew sunshine made a difference in my mood. Now I know it also makes a difference in my health. I guess I always knew it gave us vitamin D but never thought I'd be lacking in that. Bad news came yesterday from the doc about my vitamin D level, as well as other stuff. When I researched a little, it turns out that all this time when I protected myself from the sun because of skin cancer fears, I wasn't getting vitamin D. Sure it is added to milk, cereals and breads but I don't eat those. It can be found in egg yolks which I'm not supposed to eat because of cholesterol problems. When I tried to go vegetarian, I wasn't even getting any from the fish I eat, from their oils. Since I don't pop pills (I include vitamins in the pill form as pills), I am in trouble!

Did you know that vitamin D deficiency can cause weak bones, muscle pains, depression, and fatigue? Yeah.

So, today I decided to forget my dietary restrictions for an hour and went out to breakfast after physical therapy and had two EGGS, WHITE bread with BUTTER, BACON, and POTATOES, with a cup of REGULAR COFFEE. I was good -- no sugar in my coffee! I will seek out the sun for 20 minutes this afternoon. So, no need to pop a vitamin D pill!!! Well, I'm already feeling happier :)

5 comments:

Angel said...

Good for you! Sounds like my kind of breakfast. Betty, I know you don't take pills, but taking a small multivitamin (not a horsepill) can help you to get some vitamins like vitamin D.

Jo Ann said...

I love the sun, and don't avoid it. I feel it is necessary to my mood and happiness. And that sounds like a wonderful breakfast
1

chardnab7 said...

cool



rich

Marlene said...

You can get a sript for a "sun" lamp for the winter also. I have one deep in storage, I got it on the recommendation of my therapist. LOL. I used it one winter...still didn't make my skin tingle like the sun does.

Melissa (Melgurl) said...

I love the sun.