Sunday, May 2, 2010

Creating and Giving










Why do I love to create things? I find it relaxing. It is challenging when I am trying something new. But, I think the main reason I create things is to give them away -- to spread happiness.

Once I am done making something, I like to give it away to a person who might appreciate it. What's the sense of giving away a creation which took time and energy (and money) to make? I don't expect anything in return, no quid pro quo. Just say "Thank you" and enjoy what I've given you. The things I donate may end up in the hands of someone who doesn't know the amount of care that went into its creation. So be it.

Most of my friends have received something I made with my hands -- quilt, drawing, sock monkey, pillow, scarf, stuffed monster, pysanka, blanket, etc. Many times, it is based on being at the right place, at the right time -- just when I am done making it. I also make stuff specifically for someone.

If you haven't received a handmade item from me yet, do you think you deserve one?

5 comments:

Jo Ann said...

I have recently received a pillow. Richard likes to sleep with it because he likes the smell. I would like to get a baby blanket, but so far haven't been able to convince Joe to have anymore :(.

As for good deeds--when I do them (I don't make anything, though). I try not to keep track. It is the way we are expected to live anyway and God and other people have done so much for me that I could never repay it. I live in a spirit of gratefulness or try to anyway. When you are grateful and feel blessed you naturally want to bless others. I hope to get to a state in which being a blessing to others with my words and actions is as natural as breathing and I don't even think about it anymore. It just happens.

Angel said...

That is really generous. Especially when you might give to a person that may not appreciate the amount of time and work that went into it.

Marlene said...

I have my comfy and scented neck pillow and the beautiful Pysanka you made :)

B is a rare person, she has a beautiful and generous soul.

Melissa (Melgurl) said...

Your amazing at making things my favorite thing you made would be that pink stuffed cow or bear.

MGF said...

Very nice B.