Wednesday, May 12, 2010

UFOs

"UFO" usually means "unidentified flying objects." But in a quilter's mind, it stands for "unfinished object."

I have a tendency to begin something and not complete it before moving on to another project. As I get older, I've begun to think that I may have attention deficit disorder. Unless I have to finish something for a deadline -- wedding, birthday or show -- I can't seem to focus. Even when I am working with a deadline, it doesn't always happen. Here are two miniature quilts I started for the 2008 Empire Quilters show. I decided to go small so that I could make the blocks and quilt them in time for the show. I managed to get these photos taken in time for the submission deadline but never got them completed in time to hang in the show. There were so many other things to deal with that I put them aside in order to help get the show organized.

Since then, I've withdrawn a bit from the guild. I realized that I have trouble saying "no" when asked to help out. A few months ago I resigned from being a Core Group member of my CSA. Once in a while I need to put me first and do what I love, making things and being artistic. Besides these two UFOs, my Dear Jane quilt has been waiting for attention. I don't even know how many UFOs I have. When I thought I was going to die from breast cancer, sad to say, I started to think about all the unfinished quilts I had started and all those I had planned to start. When Mother's Day came and I had no present for Mommy, I decided to make her a heart applique quilt. I made the 12 blocks by Sunday but couldn't get it all together for even a top because she had me making a plarn tote bag for her (yet another UFO when the plarn ran out). Well, today I finished her plarn tote to her specifications and have one less UFO to worry about!

No comments: