Thursday, May 6, 2010

Family Heirloom

These are the baby shoes each of my children wore. I remember buying them from Stride Rite in the Queens Center Mall for my first child. Back then I spent what money I made on him. Nice, expensive leather shoes. Nothing was too good for him.

When my second one was ready to walk, she got these hand-me-downs which were still in pretty good condition. But when she outgrew them, I passed them along to a close friend. Part of my constant de-cluttering project since I didn't plan on having any more children.

When my third child came along and was ready to walk, my dear friend gave me back the shoes. I had forgotten about them but was overjoyed to be able to have a family heirloom back.

Since I was too cheap to buy a new pair for each baby, the three of them will have to figure out who gets to keep them when I am gone. For now, they are proudly displayed in my wall unit.

4 comments:

Angel said...

Wow! They're in great condition considering that they've been through four children. It's nice to reminisce. I've kept their baby bedding for the same reason.

Melissa (Melgurl) said...

Those shoes are in great condition

Marlene said...

How precious! I have a few "heirlooms," that I haul to each new place. LOL. Bronze 2 and one of the kids gets the real shoe. LOL, who ever does the most chores gets the original.

Jo Ann said...

I have saved certain items from each child. It is funny how when you experience certain items again--the memories come rushing back