Thursday, May 27, 2010

Religion


There is controversy brewing over a proposed mosque being build near Ground Zero.

I recently had some conversations about religion and the customs. Some things which came up were "why is it OK to have yamulkes with baseball team logos?" and "do you have to wash tsitsits in lingerie bags?" New questions included: "Is it OK to have a logo on a Bible or Koran?" "Why do people carry holy water in their purses?" "If God created Adam and Eve and we are all descendants from them, aren't we all related then?"

I have gone from being an atheist to an agnostic. I really think there is some other higher spirit but not sure what it is. I still don't understand all the distinctions between the Christians -- Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran, etc. And, I don't really care. If there was one interpretation of the Bible, then I might believe in it. I don't even really know the difference between the various religions and never really had a deep desire to figure it all out. It amazes me whenever there are people who can quote passages from the Bible -- not just the words but where in the Bible it came from. I have no desire to know anything that thoroughly. Call me shallow if you must.

Don't take this the wrong way...I respect all religions but have no desire to be a part of any one group. It seems that those in a religion always feel that their religion is the right one. This has been the root of way too many conflicts in history and modern times. So, don't hate me if I'm not part of your religion and ask silly questions.

5 comments:

Jo Ann said...

I don't mind any questions, silly or otherwise, not that you could ask a silly question. Why do I quote the Bible and actually know where the verses come from? It is important in my life--I feel that my faith gives meaning to my life and purpose and a plan. I also feel that my relationship with God may have actually saved my life. My relationship with God is just as real to me as my relationship human people although it is different, of course. Does that make me a better person that someone who doesn't have this relationship--not at all.

I do disagree, somewhat, with what you say about that it is people feeling that their religion is the right one leading to conflict in the world. One can feel that they are on the right path and even wish to share it with others without being violent about it. Many have and continue to do so. The problem is when others force their religion on others by the sword or other compelling means.

Unknown said...

I have religious friends who do not force their beliefs on me and I respect them for allowing me my space. I didn't mean to say religious people are fanatics or that all the conflicts in the world stem from religious conviction, but a lot do.

Melissa (Melgurl) said...

What is ground zero?

Unknown said...

Ground Zero is the area in NYC where the World Trade Center used to be.

Jo Ann said...

I hope I am one of those respectful religious friends.