Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Music and Art


I grew up listening to music before I fell asleep and waking up to music on my alarm clock/radio. I played the viola from sixth grade until I graduated from high school. Over two summers, I learned how to play the piano from my cousins. Other than that, I have no musical talent. But I do believe that everyone might have musical ability. Unfortunately, my hubby doesn't agree.

During my recent painting of the living room, I had to move the piano to the center of the living room. Many years ago, I had purchased a Roland electric 88-key upright which has grand piano sound and touch sensitive keys. I spent a few thousand on it (with the intention of trading up to a grand piano when we moved into a bigger house). Well, we never moved so I never traded up. I meant to learn to play the piano but gave up. Nobody is taking lessons on it any more and it is rarely played. So, hubby was angry that I spent the money on it and that it is just taking up space. He also complained about the drum set in the basement and the violin (very grumpy that day). M is still playing his violin but B rarely touches his drum set. We also have other instruments hidden around the house -- recorder, accordion, harmonica, ocarina, and, my newest acquisition, a jaw harp. I just learned how to play it today even though I bought it last month in Colonial Williamsburg.

I guess I would like my children to be able to play something if they feel inclined to. And they do occasionally play on their musical instruments or listen to music. It's the same as having art supplies readily available in case you have the desire to create artwork. That's another thing we disagree about. Maybe the problem is that he's not musically or artistically inclined and/or didn't have any exposure to it at a young age? I can't imagine what my life would be without music or art.

During the year that I took off after working at KDW, I felt such an urge to get back some creativity in my life. That's when I took painting classes, ceramics classes, and quilting classes. I really enjoyed that year. It wasn't an "Eat, Pray, and Love" year. It was a "Create, Create, and Create" year. I guess I had music in my life -- radio in the office playing "elevator music." What I missed was making artwork. I loved all three mediums but quilting was the easiest to do "on the go."

I am taking a break from quilting right now but I am creating things with yarn. I have so much fun making stuff without patterns. It's like improvising on a musical instrument.

So, go and make beautiful music and art!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE music, whenever I have the chance I'll listen to it. If I don't listen to music for awhile I start to feel music deprived.

Samantha said...

Don't forget plarn!

And music is a huge part of my life - The Beatles, Meatloaf, Simon & Garfunkel, and even that TERRIBLE punk pop (that was for Anna).

I'm really enjoying your blog.