Saturday, August 28, 2010

Frugal or Stingy?


I've been wondering lately whether I am frugal or stingy? Of course, everyone wants to be in the frugal category.

My sister-in-law recently made fun of me when I told her how I used Peapod delivery for groceries by putting sale items on my order and choosing a delivery date after the sale is over. This allows me to add on the next week's sale items as well. Two weeks of sale items on one delivery seems like a frugal trait. But she thinks I am trying to work the system. But later that day, she told me how she was using her sister's membership to some buyers group which could get her a refrigerator for a lower price including delivery. I pointed out that she also likes to get deals. She then said "Who doesn't like to find a deal and save some money?" WTH??

I don't buy the fruits and vegetables from the "rotting cart" to save on food costs. I don't buy every newspaper on Sunday to collect coupons (but I will use them if I have). I don't make my child go under the turnstile or squeeze in for one fare. I don't buy bottled water (except if I'm dying of thirst and forgot to fill my Kleen Kanteen). I don't drive out of the way just to avoid tolls.

I do look for free parking before choosing to pay for parking. I do resist turning on the air conditioner unless I can't breathe. I do shop at outlets when we are near one. I do use the libraries instead of buying books. I do donate less than the suggested amounts at museums. I do try the free samples at Trader's Joe's if it looks OK. I do save junk mail and use the back for scrap paper.

Before I buy something, I try to ask myself "Do you need it?" and "Is this a good price for it?" I don't always remember to ask one or both questions. If it is something we need and I don't have the time and energy to bargain-hunt, then I buy it.

I don't know if my lifestyle can be considered frugal or stingy or both, but I still would like to think that I'm not stingy.

3 comments:

Jo ann said...

You are so much like Joe. I don't think he is stingy either. I think that we have an obligation to be careful of the resources we have, and not foolishly squander them. It is just one way of showing thankfulness in my opinion. And then you are always very generous with others. You might not be able to do all that you do if you acted foolishly with the things that you were blessed with.

So definitely frugal

Unknown said...

You're just a smart spender.

Angel said...

I agree with Anna. It is smart. I do a lot of the things you do. I buy sale items when I shop for food and most other things. Sometimes with things I don't need right away, I will wait for a sale. The one thing I gave up on was clipping coupons because that requires a bit too much organization for me.