Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Gifts


I enjoy giving gifts which are meaningful. Some times I have enough time to make a present. Other times I don't. This past weekend was spent making a mermaid's tail for a 10 year's birthday. I had never done it before. I didn't have a pattern. It was quite a challenge. But I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was so nice to see her expression when she found it hidden in the box which she thought only contained a hoodie!

Those who know me know that my memory is awful. We've been married over 21 years now. Amazingly, I do remember specific wedding presents and who gave them to us but have no idea how much money people gave. I know who got us our furniture (my parents), first television set (big brother), silverware (Grace and Chris), wicker chest (John & Su-u), towels with our names (David), Esprit blanket (Warren), etc.

The same applies for the baby presents we received for my children -- alphabet quilt with removable toys (Chiu), quilted photo album (Ronald), A's big teddy (Nadine), M's big teddy (Oleg), weekly delivery of diapers (Hsin-Yu), group quilt (quilting class at the Y), gold jewelry (Susan), portable playpen (home schoolers), etc. Other than the savings bonds, I don't recall monetary gifts.

I don't know if other people have memory problems like mine but that is the reason I make baby blankets or quilts as gifts and shop off of registries or wish lists rather than give money.

Someone asked my husband why I don't sell my plarn tote bags. I have been giving them away to friends and family. What would I charge? Nothing would seem like enough compensation for the amount of time I put into it. I asked him if we needed the money. If we did, I would sell them. The answer was "No." So, I will continue to give them away as gifts (for no occasion).

2 comments:

Angel said...

You put so much thought into your gifts. IMO, the best gifts are the ones that you put your time and effort into. But not everyone has the talent to produce such beautiful work with their time and effort. Your talent is truly a blessing from God. And you are using it to spread happiness to others. I'm hoping this sounded more positive than my last comment which was made when I was in a grouchy mood.

Marlene said...

You have such a giving heart and amazing talents. I'm honored that my family has been on the receiving end of your amazing gifts. But be sure...that if you never handed anything "tangible" to anyone, your mere existence and friendship is gift enough. I am truly blessed knowing someone like you. Hopefully in time, some of your goodness will rub off on me
:-)