Thursday, July 22, 2010

Zeppoles

There are times when I crave a certain thing to eat. For the last few months, it's been zeppoles. No.....I am not pregnant! I just want fried dough sprinkled with powdered sugar. We used to get them from the Feast of San Gennaro on Mulberry St.

I tried making my own with Indian Fried Bread Mix which I got from the National Museum of the American Indians. We tried it in Chicago and the taste reminded me of zeppoles. I even put the ones I made into small, brown paper bags and poured the confectioner's sugar into the bags and shook it all up. Pretty close imitation.

Recently, we had some funnel cakes from Busch Gardens and again at Water Country USA. I thought I had satisfied my cravings. But, somehow, I still want the Italian zeppoles from a street fair. I know I still have the craving because while we were watching "The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood" there was a scene with beignets which got me thinking about zeppoles again -- to me, beignets are basically the same thing but in a square shape and from the South.

How do I get rid of this craving? Is it my body telling me that I need unhealthy greasy stuff and sugar?!

ZEPPOLES

Why aren't they more readily available like donuts or chocolates?

How long before I get to bite into a hot, fried piece of round dough covered with sweet, powdery confectioner's sugar?

3 comments:

MGF said...

Yum yum yum I want one two.

Unknown said...

One or two or do you mean 12?

Unknown said...

I would like one too. No, I change my mind, make that 3.