Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Meditation

While thinking about today's topic, I realized that thinking is what keeps me from achieving an inner peace.

Meditation can be achieved when one focuses on doing nothing or doing something "mindless." The monk making a mandala with grains of colored sand has to focus on that, and only that. This monk was at the Rubin Museum last year. As we stood watching him make his mandala on a stage in a quiet auditorium, I was in awe. We tried making a sand mandala and it really was more difficult than he made it look. Keep in mind that the mandala will be destroyed by a breeze or when he has to get off the stage. It is the journey, not the final product.

I make my lists of things to do. This helps me let go of some stuff. Nowadays, it is hard for me to sit still and clear my mind without falling asleep.

The best way for me to lose myself is when I am making or doing something which requires my full concentration. Difficult kakuro puzzles require lots of puzzle solving skills which help me not think about what else needs to be done. Quilting by hand or drawing one of my doodles also helps my mind drift off to a peaceful place.

What do you do to achieve a sense of inner peace?

3 comments:

Angel said...

I agree, you need to something that takes you away from all the things you have to get done. I achieve inner peace with reading, cooking, and playing piano.

MGF said...

I sleep or sit still.

Unknown said...

I relax by listening to music. I love listening to music.